I remember when I first started to pay attention to my skin. My 14-year-old inflamed skin was not happy with me. How was I supposed to get through the school day looking like this?
Like most women, I rode the rollercoaster of hormones, stress, weather, and food choices for years. I needed some skin care tips.
This month, I’m happy to welcome to the blog licensed esthetician Linda Fryer. She has been an esthetician since 1998 and works at Bodhi Spa and Wellness. I was privileged to meet her several years ago when visiting Key West, Florida. Today Linda is sharing some of her expert skin care tips with us.
Pay Attention to What You’re Eating
Linda’s first skin care tip is to pay attention to what we’re putting in our bodies. “What goes into your body reflects on the outside,” she said. Her daily skincare routine for naturally glowing skin includes the following suggestions.
- Eat a proper whole foods diet. Our food choices show up on our skin, so make your food supports your skin.
- Hydrate. Drink water or “detox waters” with slices of cucumbers, lemons, and a favorite herb or two.
- Every day Linda takes multivitamins that contain vitamins E, Zinc, A, and C to build collagen. She also takes B Complex for energy and to combat stress.
- Drink herbal tea. Her favorite daily herbal drink is chamomile tea with honey and lemon.
- Eat dark chocolate. Yes, you read that right. A small amount of dark chocolate (70% and up), can benefit us because of its antioxidant content.
Body Practices To Get Skin Glowing
- Exercise is important for healthy skin. It helps to increase blood flow, which carries oxygen and nutrients to cells throughout the body. Check out several suggestions from certified trainer Sarah Lewis in our last body blog for a healthy glow.
- Dry brushing. Linda suggests using a dry body brush and brushing your skin in the direction of your heart. This facilitates lymphatic drainage and detoxification.
- Epsom salt baths. Linda recommends these baths for the relief of aches and pains and to aid in relaxation — especially when done with candles and a good audiobook.
Linda follows this protocol with her clients at Bodhi Spa and Wellness in Key West. She recommends a professional facial but between times, clients can follow a similar program at home. Click on the arrow below right to read her suggestions.
- Cleanse 2. Tone 3. Exfoliate 4. Masque 5. Treatment — serums and concentrates (oils crafted to target specific concerns) 6. Moisturize 7. Eye treatment 8. Protect from UV rays and environmental stressors. 9. Body care.
As Linda says this will help you “glow from head to toe.” She recommends and uses the Eminence Organics line of products.
Linda believes women need a mindset shift. “Women are too hard on themselves,” she said. “Whether they are 20 or 80, they think they are old. We need to change that thinking.
We need to be grateful for the body and skin and features we were born with. Take care of your body like it is your vehicle because it is your life’s transportation.
Love yourself and others but keep healthy boundaries.”
To help with a positive mindset, Linda highly recommends enjoying the unconditional love of an animal.
Linda relies on prayer and meditation to help her through rough times and celebrate in good. At Spaces of Grace we love Lectio 365 and Reflect App. As we draw close to the Lord, He gives us His peace. Letting go of stress benefits us body, soul, and spirit.
Don’t Forget …
Finally, Linda says you can’t go wrong with a smile. “It’s hard to be upset when you are smiling. Give it a shot. Whatever time you are given on earth, be a good human. You will then become beautiful to everyone who sees you.”
Do you have a favorite skin care tip for naturally glowing skin? We’d love to hear it. Please share below.
A few of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you purchase a product from our link, we will receive a small amount of compensation. We only recommend products we use or come highly recommended from friends. Thank you for supporting us.