And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people. Matthew 4:23
How to Encourage the Sick
Five years BC (before COVID) I admit there were times when I looked forward to being a little bit sick. A little bit sickis sick enough to stay home from work, but not sick enough to really suffer. It’s sick enough to forgo housework and grocery shopping, but not sick enough that one couldn’t enjoy a good Netflix binge.
There was no such thing as isolating or quarantining. There was always someone to keep you company, bring you soup and crackers, and show you a good dose of TLC.
Not so much anymore.
One positive COVID test and your whole world changes. You’re shut in, shut away, shut up, shut down. Just shut. You feel forgotten, helpless, and useless. Alone. Support network gone. After 10 days of isolation and solitary confinment, the mind starts playing funny tricks on itself. Maybe the world really doesn’t need me. Maybe my work place will find out they can get along perfectly well without me. Maybe I’ll never get better from this horrid blight.
“When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?” Matthew 25:39
Remember the Sick
We need to remember the sick who are stuck at home or in hospital rooms and give them some hope, purpose, and peace. Also, please let’s not forget those who have lost a loved one to COVID or other illnesses. They desperately need our support and prayers.
8 Ways to Encourage a Sick Friend:
- Calls or Facetime. Set a convenient time and spend some time talking with your friend. End the call with a personal prayer.
- Texts: Send a sick loved one cheerful texts throughout the day.
- Pictures: Send your sick friend pictures of good memories you shared.
- Memes: Send a sick friend funny, encouraging memes.
- Text Community: Gregory Dickow sends encouraging biblical messages to his text community. His text messages have helped me through many rough spots. Sign up at the following link: Text Community
- Grocery Run: People who are isolating need someone to run errands or make meals. Schedule a drop off time and leave items on the doorstep.
- Say it with Flowers: Something fresh and beautiful will bring joy to a sick friend. Send some flowers or a ballon bouquet.
- Snail Mail: Who doesn’t love a handwritten card or letter?
Prayer for the Sick
Dearest Father: I call out to You for the sick. I pray for those who are quarantined away from the love, care, and healing touch of family and friends. It is easy to feel forgotten and unimportant when we are forced to withdraw from the society of family, friends, and coworkers.
Your word says “when I was sick you looked after me.” We pray for healing for those who are suffering with respiratory conditions, who may be in the hospital and on ventilators. Relieve their breathing. Destroy this virus we pray! Give strength and protection to the health care workers and other caregivers. Show us new ways to encourage those who are shut away with COVID so they do not loose heart. Help us to treat others the way we want to be treated.
In Jesus’ Holy Name,
Are You Sick Or Are You a Caregiver, Nurse, Doctor, or Other Medical Provider?
If so, leave us a comment so we and others can pray for you. And if you are caring for others, thank you for your love and sacrifice.